Tel: 07738 788272 | info@fleethealthandsafety.co.uk

News

New regulations to affect vets working with X-rays

All veterinary employers who work with X-rays must register with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) by Monday 5 February 2018, under new legislation.

The Ionising Radiations Regulations 2017 (IRR17) replaced IRR99 on 1 January 2018 and employers must now apply to the HSE to carry out work with ionising radiation.

Under the new regulation, notifications given under IRR99 are no longer valid and all employers must reapply under the new regulations by the 5 February deadline.

Registration with the HSE entails a fee of £25 per employer. All veterinary employers that administer radioactive materials or use a linear accelerator will additionally have to obtain consent, with an additional £25 fee per employer. Failure to comply may result in enforcement action, up to and including prosecution.

More information on how to apply is available at the HSE website.

Practices that are part of a larger veterinary group should check with head office before registering, as only one registration per company is required.

BVA produce an Ionising Radiations Guide and, as a result of IRR17, this is in the process of being updated.

BVA is liaising with the HSE and Radiation Protection Advisors to update the guide.

BVA members will be updated when the new Guide is available for sale. For further information, please contact Ameliaf@bva.co.uk

The draft Approved Code of Practice and Guidance can be downloaded for free from the HSE website and gives advice and direction on how to meet the requirements in the regulations.

 

18 Week prison sentence

Pembrokeshire man sentenced after worker seriously injured

Date:
6 June 2018

A man has been sentenced to 18 weeks in prison after a worker received serious injuries from an electric shock.

Swansea Crown Court heard that, on 12 March 2014, Mr Hearne, under instruction from George Jones, sustained serious injuries whilst plugging a tyre stripping machine into a wall socket. The incident, which took place at Carew Cars, Carew Airfield, Pembrokeshire, could easily have led to a fatality.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found that the electrical installation at the unit in Carew Airfield operated by George Jones as part of his scrap metal business was unsafe and was more suited to a domestic premise. The socket in use was in poor condition with exposed wires. The roof of the building had holes in it and there was evidence of water ingress on the wall behind the socket which contributed to the incident.

George William Edward Jones of Strawberry Fields, Pembrokeshire pleaded guilty to breaching Section 4 of the Health and Safety at Work etc. Act 1974, and was sentenced to 18 weeks in prison to run concurrently with his existing sentence.

Speaking after the hearing, HSE inspector Anne Marie Orrells said: “This case highlights the importance of regular proactive maintenance and inspection of work equipment, including electrical installations, to ensure that they do not deteriorate to the extent that it puts people at risk.

“In this case, George Jones failed to effectively maintain equipment and it could have resulted in a fatal injury.”

http://press.hse.gov.uk/2018/pembrokeshire-man-sentenced-after-worker-seriously-injured/?utm_source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=digest-11-jun&utm_term=prison-metal-dealer&utm_content=news

Ready meal co fined after unsupervised worker fell from forklift

NEWS

Ready meal co fined after unsupervised worker fell from forklift

A seafood processing company that instructed a packer to carry out maintenance work on the factory’s gutters but failed to provide him with training has been sentenced.

Lincoln Magistrates’ Court was told that the Fishgate worker was raised up inside an unsecured box by a forklift truck driver so he could paint the gutters and downpipes on the outside of the factory in Brookenby, Lincolnshire.

The box tipped forward and he fell about 6 m, sustaining a dislocated arm, cracked pelvis, shattered leg and broken foot.

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) found the work had not been properly planned or supervised and no equipment, training or advice on how to safely carry out the work had been given to the worker before the accident on 16 July 2013.

Fishgate supplied ready meals to retailer Iceland before it went into administration in December 2016. It was found guilty of breaching s 2(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act and has been fined £100,000 plus costs of £19,000.

https://www.ioshmagazine.com/article/ready-meal-co-fined-after-unsupervised-worker-fell-forklift